Last modified: May 4, 2020
Sapien Labs is a nonprofit research organization with a mission to understand and enable the human mind. Sometimes, we may need to collect information about our users and their use of our website to help us achieve that goal.
Information we collect
Contact information. Some forms and services ask for your name and email address in order to provide you with the information you request.
Search queries. Our Services may include search fields that allow you to search (only within the Services) for content or answers to questions. We collect information about what items and topics you query, and any additional search terms.
Your content. We collect comments and other information that you post through interactive online features. However, all such information is either canned or moderated to avoid collecting personal information and to help maintain a safe environment for users.
Correspondence. We may store correspondence with you related to our Services.
Use of Services. We may store information about how our Services are used.
Device information. We may collect information about your device, including hardware model, operating system version, and unique identifiers.
We use the information we collect to…
- Help provide you with more relevant content and services
- Send promotional materials, or other materials related to our services;
- Analyze use of the Services to understand, develop and improve our Services, such as determining which pages are most popular, which browsers are most used, how long users spend on the Services, and from which websites they come;
- Otherwise support the internal operations of the Services;
- Provide you with notifications pursuant to our legal obligations, including in the case of a data incident;
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect the information or pursuant to your consent.
Sharing of information with third parties
We may share information that is collected from you as follows:
- Authorized third-party vendors. We may share information with our third-party vendors that help us deliver our content and services.
- Business transfers. We may share information in connection with a substantial business transaction, such as the sale of the Services, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- Legal purposes. We do not rent or sell information to third parties, but we may disclose information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, law enforcement requests, legal claims or government inquiries, and to protect and defend our rights, interests, property, safety, and security.
How we collect information
We use these technologies for measurement, analytics, and to improve our Services. For example, we use these technologies to help us recognize your browser as a previous user and save any preferences that may have been set; to help us customize the content shown while you use the Services; to provide you with content customized to your interests; to understand whether you read email messages and click on links contained within those messages, so that we can deliver relevant content and offers; and to help measure and research the effectiveness of our Services.
We may allow third parties to place and read their own cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies to collect information through the Services, including to help us with traffic measurement, research, and analytics. We permit these third parties only to collect cookie information and similar identifiers that do not, on their own, directly identify you.
You may be able to refuse or disable cookies by adjusting your web browser settings. Because each web browser is different, please consult the instructions provided by your web browser (typically in the “help” section). Please note that you may need to take additional steps to refuse or disable Local Shared Objects and similar technologies. For example, Local Shared Objects may be controlled through the instructions on Adobe’s Setting Manager page. If you choose to refuse, disable, or delete these technologies, some of the functionality of our Services may no longer be available to you.
Note regarding do-not-track signals and similar mechanisms: Some web browsers transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. We currently do not take action in response to these signals.
Use of aggregate information
We may aggregate your information with information about other users in a way that does not directly identify you.
We also may share aggregated or de-identified information with third parties, including to help us develop, analyze and improve content and Services. It is possible that the third parties may use this aggregated or de-identified information to develop their own products and service offerings.
Protecting theinformation we collect
We are committed to protecting your information. We have adopted reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures to help protect this information from loss, misuse, and alteration, including encryption as appropriate. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Services, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us
Notice for international users
If you have questions please contact us at: